Kenya's Most Authoritative Political Newspaper

Citizen Weekly

Sunday 10 May 2015

Bungoma tycoon in land tussle with 70-year-old widow

  
A 70-year-old widow in Bungoma county has appealed to President Uhuru Kenyatta to assist her following an incident where a prominent contractor hired goons who went to her home and demolished two graves of her late sons plus a toilet.
Hellen Nafuna who has been living in her two piece of land at Sibanga village in Kisiwa sublocation, Kapchai constituency said that the gang of goons who were armed with assorted weapons and jembes went to her home and demolished the two graves and a pit latrine alleging that she was living in somebody’s land illegally.
“It is only Uhuru Kenyatta who can assist me to get justice and not anyone else because he knows problems affecting widows and how they are being harassed and frustrated by rich men in this country,” the widow amid tears rolling down her cheeks.
Investigations done by Weekly Citizen established that the man behind the racket is Makarios Atnas Makacho.
Narrating the ordeal to Weekly Citizen at her Chebukwa home, Nafuna revealed that some relatives of his late husband sold part of her land to the tycoon without her knowledge, claiming that it was theirs.
“I have lived here on this land for the last 53 years and I was shocked when I saw many people storm my home and start demolishing graves of my two late sons and a pit latrine saying that I was here illegally on somebody’s land,” Nafuna said.
She said that her late husband died in 1973 and her two sons the late Andrew Wanyama and Richard Wanyama respectively.
The widow said that the contractor went ahead and even planted maize on part of her land whem she was planning to plant her own maize plus sealing about 100 holes which she had prepared to plant bananas stems.
“My life is in great danger and I need government protection otherwise this people can kill me any time after grabbing part of my land where I have been living for the last 53 years,” said the widow.
Nafuna said that she reported the matter to Nalondo Police Station but the investigating officer only known as a Mr Tuwei from crime office never visited the scene and instead turned against them saying that they were the ones on the wrong.
“I am aware that the person who is claiming to have bought part of my piece of land is rich and is now using money to frustrate me so justice is not done on my side,” said Nafuna.
She revealed that succession of the land had not been done from the time when the late husband died and was wondered how things were unfolding after all those year.
She said that she reported the matter to Nalondo Police Station on April 17 2015 after being invaded by goons the previous day where she recorded a statement but was refused to be given the OB number.
“The contractor claim that he bought part of the land measuring three quarters on April 7 2015 at an amount but I don’t even know the exact amount to date,” said the widow.
When contacted for comment, the OCS for Nalondo Police Station promised to follow up the matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment